Saturday, April 16, 2011

Just a piece of my mind

Again, a rider died and another one lost his arm while on a convoy going north,that was the information that was posted on my FB wall. I'm not trying to be an expert or to be an analyst on what had happened. I just want to share a piece of my mind as a fellow rider who has quite many years of fulltime riding experience,more than 30 years to be exact. I rode varieties of bikes from 125 to 1100 cc but now contented with 650 which produces same amount of HP as a 1100 cc from 20 years ago.
Throughout my riding years I have not seen such a big number of new big capacity bike riders on the road until lately. Many big and powerful bike are being registered everyday. It is not so critical if the bikes are bought by experienced riders as upgrades but some of those are bought by new riders. Do they have licence for those big bikes?even if they do,training by driving school to pass test is not sufficient for them to be safe on the road.
Riding big capacity bikes requires special training to ensure safety of the operator and the bikes. What one reads in magazines and watch on internet are not what it really is, so dont learn via these mediums or by trial and error. All these mediums originate from the west and the riders are totally different in size and weight from us Malaysian. A Yamaha  R1 is more powerful with 160 pounds rider compare to 220 pounds one,it is all about power to weight ratio,just to name a few.
Why do they buy these bikes? is it just to join convoys or want to be with the crowd?. Most big capacity bike riders I know are just weekend riders and when they want to sell their bikes,they will proudly advertise as such,weekend bikes. How do they gain experience if they ride once a week and on weekends?there are less traffic on weekends too.
Riding is about passion, come rain or shine. It is also about continous learning of your bikes character and overcoming elements you face on every ride. How can you do that if you keep upgrading or change bikes?.
Correct attitude is another subject which is very lacking. Doing 160kmh on the fast lane and flashing every car in front is totally annoying and zig zagging in between traffic is adding insult to injury. Hey, we are bound to follow the law too you know!. We are no greater than any other vehicle on the road,we are just another road user and a more risky one at that. Convoys do not make us rule the road and over acting  so called marshalls are a pain in the ass.
If accident happen can marhalls be sued?
Get you riding objectives and priorities right. Learn from experience riders not only riding techniques but in riding attitude too.
I will just stick to my trail rides on weekends to sharpen my bike handling skill and to be a daredevil once in a while since it is a much safer environment. I can afford to joke on my mistakes offroad. My road rides are only for errands and touring........solo.
Ride safe.

1 comment:

Followers